At the Hop

Hop Against Homophobia and Transphobia

Why? Have you ever wondered why you are angry, uneasy or even scared by someone different than you? It happens. You want and need to figure out why. Does this person threaten you or someone you care about? No. Do they want to take away something that belongs to you? No.

Did you ever think they may be just as uneasy or scared of you? It’s not easy to be different. To wonder who may notice or do something. Who will draw unwanted attention to you. Who may, even, hurt you. Mentally, emotionally or physically.

Being gay, lesbian, queer or bi is not new. It has been around forever. Being transgender or transsexual is not new. It’s just that now there are drugs and surgery that work to change your body if you want or need to.

Wanting to distance yourself from others who are different is not new. It, too, has been around forever. Look around. Are you friends with people your parents wouldn’t be? Your grandparents? See, it is getting better.

All it takes is one person to object to a heckler. One person to say ‘Hello’ to someone different. One person to even just ask ‘Why?’ when others talk about making fun or calling names. Maybe you are just one person, but sometimes people just need one person to open their eyes. Maybe the one person will become two. Then three. And more.

Whether you are straight, gay, queer, bi, trans or a green frog, life is a bit of a crapshoot. ‘It’s Not Easy Being Green’ is how Kermit phrased it. Substitute any name for ‘Green’. In the song, life gets better. If we all try, this life will get better. Just remember that.

Let me know what you think in the comments section. I will be giving away two prizes to two random comments. B&N $10 gift cards. Thanks for reading.
Jenn Dease
Captain’s Mate
May 30 from MLR Press

About jenndease

I write M/M romance with a touch of shape-shifting. I read almost constantly and have for most of my life.

15 Responses to At the Hop

1. Lynley Wayne says:

Great post, Jenn!!

2. Erica Pike says:

Thanks for signing up, Jenn 🙂

3. H.B. says:

Wonderful post. It would be wonderful if more people could be more open and go out of their comfort zone. To learn and educate themselves before passing judgement on things that make them uncomfortable.

4. lenagrey says:

People are always afraid of something different, but if more would take the leap of faith to understand, perhaps they would find that different doesn’t always mean wrong or bad.

lena.grey.iam@gmail.com

5. stella says:

I try to be that one person everyday… thanks for joining the Hop

6. Penumbra says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and participating in this great Hop.

penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

7. younela says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It’s a tragic fact that some people will pick on or belittle anyone that they deem different. One way to reverse that mentality is to not be one of those people, and to be seen as a positive roll model.

8. KimberlyFDR says:

Thanks for taking part in the hop!

kimberlyFDR@yahoo.com

9. michelle says:

Thanks for the post, this is a great hop!

MHupp20032003(at)yahoo(dot)com

10. Rissa says:

‘It’s Not Easy Being Me’

Great post. Thanks so much for being a part of the hop!
    raynman1979 at yahoo dot com

11. “Wanting to distance yourself from others who are different is not new.”

Nope – it is definitely not. I had a conversation about this with a friend last week. While I understand the comfort in those similar to you, I don’t understand the lashing out towards those who are not like you. Especially when they aren’t bothering or threatening you.

Variety is the spice of life. Be open. It can expose you to new/different relationships, ideas, and experiences. That’s usually a good thing.

Thanks for hosting the giveaway. Happy a great weekend!

skeeterlee63 @ gmail.com

12. marcthf says:

Thanks that was a great post. Certainly, it’s not easy being different – on the other hand trying to hide my true self was eating away at me until I finally couldn’t bear it. Determine the kind of person I am by my deeds and words – not by something I am since I was born.

marc.darkshade@gmail.com

13. sherry1969 says:

Thanks for the post and being part of a wonderful hop.
    sstrode at scrtc dot com

14. Wendy H says:

Thanks for posting and for the chance to enter. Truer words have never been spoken! wendynjason04@gmail.com

15. Juliana says:

Thank you for sharing your post and participating.
    OceanAkers @ aol.com